Friday, September 14, 2012

Never Too Old For A Children's Movie


Some people say that Disney is just trying to make a quick buck by re-releasing Finding Nemo in 3D this weekend. They might be right, but I don't care. I am still going to see it regardless.
Finding Nemo came out on May 30, 2003. I was an eleven-year-old schoolboy at the time, around 4th or 5th grade. Since then I have seen the film at least ten times. My friends and I, now college students, still quote the movie at each other to this day. It remains one of my favorite movies of all time. That's right, Nemo is right up there with films such as the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Inception

Finding Nemo isn't the only movie made for kids that makes it to my unofficial favorites list. Disney classics such as Aladdin, Lion King, Up, and Toy Story. are all there. So are other children's movies like Despicable Me and Rugrats in Paris

Some of these movies, like Aladdin, have a certain nostalgia factor to them. I have great memories watching the Disney classic in my living room with my brother, singing along to "Prince Ali," my favorite Disney song to date. They were great when I was a kid, and they are still great today. Other films, like Up, came out when I was in high school. I was not the target audience, and yet I went to see it anyways.

I firmly believe that nobody is too old to go see a nice heartwarming kid's movie. 

I remember going to see Despicable Me with three of my friends. We were something like seventeen-years-old at the time. We went on a day off from school. When I asked the lady at the counter for a ticket to the film, she gave a small chuckle before asking me for my $9.00. Did she think I was a fool for wanting to go see a rated 'G' children's movie on my day off from school? Whatever she thought, I didn't care. The film was great. I laughed and connected with the characters, just like any other good movie.

So all in all, I don't care that Hollywood is getting lazy and re-releasing Finding Nemo in 3D. I find it to be another chance to see a great movie up on the big screen again, even if I need to shell out $11.50.


There's nothing wrong in escaping the hardships of life by returning back into your childhood every once and a while.

No comments: