Friday, September 14, 2012

Video Games

          As I mentioned the first day of class, video games are a huge passion of mine. I know that this is a class about film and TV and what not but I still feel like video games can tell some amazing stories that can make you feel just as attached as a great movie or a great show. When I was younger games always fascinated me and I always wanted to play them. It was difficult for a while because since I was a kid, I really didn't have any money. But after a while I saved up and bought my first console, the Nintendo 64 and the very first game I bought was The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Little did I know that the first game I ever bought would be considered to be  one of the greatest games ever made by many video game reviewers. Upon finishing the game I knew that video games would be something I wouldn't be giving up anytime soon.

          Flash forward to present day and it has only become more and more of a passion. Don't get me wrong I do love watching new movies and everything but there's nothing like experiencing a game for the first time. The main reason I love games so much is because you're the one who controls everything. You're the one that decides how long it's going to take to progress the story along and you're the one who makes all the decisions. Now I know that most games have a story that you can't change or anything but it's still a fascinating experience playing through it. The first game where I really felt like I was experiencing something more than a game would of had to have been Bioshock. A first person shooter that came out in 2007. This game was much more than just a simple shooting game, it had a very rich and in depth story that really made you the player feel connected to the world and to the characters in it. Not to mention it had one of the best plot twists that I've ever seen. After the twist your jaw literally drops wide open in disbelief, it's a moment I won't ever forget.
          Now I've played plenty of other games recently that I would highly recommend to anyone. The Mass Effect series, Silent Hill series, Alan Wake, Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, God of War Series, Heavy Rain, Portal and a whole bunch of others that I'm just forgetting right now. If you aren't a very avid gamer then I would highly recommend at least trying a couple of these because there really are some great stories to be told here. If you are a gamer and haven't checked some of these out yet then go do it right now because I assure you, you won't be disappointed.

          Video games have been apart of my life for quite a while and honestly they're one of the reasons why I'm in this field. I love hearing stories and I love telling stories. Literally playing a story is a great experience that I don't plan on ever giving up and I encourage all of you to at least try it some time.

No comments: