Friday, September 21, 2012

The Master

Paul Thomas Anderson has just released a new movie. The film, starring Joaquin Phoenix has made quite the stir in the press as of late because of it's take on scientology. At first I was under the impression that this film would only be able to be seen in large urban areas due to it's limited release, but upon finding out that Cinemapolis would be showing the film this weekend I was ecstatic to say the least. My cousin was able to see an advanced screening of The Master about a month ago and has been raving about it, he kept talking about the sheer brilliance of the colors in the film. As a person who has the utmost admiration for cinematography, hearing about the aesthetic beauty of the film has made me even more excited. The only other Paul Thomas Anderson movie I have seen is Boogie Nights, which I truly enjoyed. This combination of Anderson and Phoenix should be a knockout, or at least that's what I'm hoping for. I am captivated by Joaquin Phoenix for a number of reasons, but most recently because of his  PR stunt to promote "I'm Still Here" his mockumentary/performance art piece about him pursuing a hip hop career. Despite the fact that the film was a flop I grew to respect his commitment to a role greatly, which is what I hope to see in "The Master." The trailer I have included is a good indication that my expectations will be met.

No comments: