Friday, September 7, 2012

I Believe in Sherlock



As I previously mentioned in the first day of class, I am a big admirer of the British television show 'Sherlock.' I was reminded of this love while working on my London Center application essay earlier this week. Through the multiple 'Sherlock' and British blogs that I follow, I have obtained knowledge that the third season of 'Sherlock' will begin filming early in 2013 around January through April. This is the exact time that I hope to be studying abroad. Although it is a long shot, my dream would be to intern with Hartswood Films' 'Sherlock'. Even if I am unable to secure an internship, however, I have discovered that they will be filming mostly on North Gower Street in Central London and that they section off a part of the road for fans to look on. Being deeply inspired as a filmmaker by this show, just the opportunity of seeing 'Sherlock', what I think is a flawless production, in action would be incredibly inspirational.

Besides working on sets, I have found that visiting sets can be a fun experience too, to be able to see and appreciate how each set operates differently. Oddly enough, over the summer, I found myself on the set of the US version of 'Sherlock' called 'Elementary.' A friend that I had worked with on set over the summer told me that a friend of his was on 'Elementary' and that they were filming in the upper west side of NYC while I was visiting. Knowing that, I decided to check out the set and learned a lot about how differently a television set is run from a movie set. By chance I also happened to see the stars Jonny Lee Miller (Trainspotting) and Lucy Liu. Seeing the stars did not faze me, instead I could not help but think,  'How are they going to adapt the show with John Watson as a female?'

New episodes of 'Elementary' will air this fall on CBS. Unforunately, 'Sherlock' is known for 18-month hiatus' and I most likely will not be able to see a new episode for at least a year, but I know that it will be well worth the wait.

No comments: