Thursday, September 6, 2012

Live Television

When I was in high school, starting my sophomore year, I took a communications course for three years. Because of this course I got involved in our morning news group, where I started off as an anchor and some days a camera man. I used to like being on the television every morning, except for the part where I had to watch myself. My junior year I got more involved in the behind the scenes stuff, where I started doing the switchboard and putting up graphics. I quickly found that I was better and enjoyed this job a lot more than being an anchor. During my senior year I began taking the teacher's job  for the morning announcements and directed it and did some field work for it. In high school I thought I would always be a live television person because I was really good at it. We went to a few television stations in my area also, places like Fox and CBS. As much as I don't care for Fox news, they have a really nice studio and nice people working there. I was really amazed by all of the cameras they had, how they did the weather, and how some of them dressed. The weatherman for example wore his nice button up shirt and tie, but he also wore shorts since no one could see his pants. Another cool thing that I learned this summer that I wish I had known back then was that the director for the CBS station is an Ithaca graduate.
With all of that said, I don't like live studio work anymore. I took an introduction to live studio course last year and I felt way too stressed. I prefer field work more because you can mess up and you can easily just re-tape it. I have also been editing with all kinds of software since sophomore year of high school.

No comments: