Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Commercial Effect

A lot of commercials we see on TV these days fall into two categories: really bad, or really funny. For the most part, we reserve commercial breaks for things like getting a snack or a bathroom break. Personally, the endless repetition of commercials that reappear constantly when you're watching something is really annoying, and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I noticed while watching the Emmy's this past weekend how truly awful and ineffective most commercials are. I don't know if any of you have ever seen a commercial for the energy drink 5-Hour Energy, but every time I see one it never fails to make me want to hit myself over the head with the nearest object. They're terrible all around, and yet they're on constantly, which begs the question, "if you can obviously afford to constantly air this commercial, why can't you at least put effort into making a watchable commercial?"



However, some commercials are actually enjoyable to watch, and I find that those are always the funny ones. Not the ridiculous ones that are so far out there that you don't really understand the connection to their products (I'm talking to any commercial that has ever used a talking baby. Or talking animals. It's just creepy, at least I think so).

When I think about my favorite commercial, the first one that always comes to mind is by Volkswagen. It aired last year during the Superbowl, and I might be a little biased because I love Star Wars, but it's really a great commercial. It's funny, adorable, and it does a great job of advertising for the product.



Lastly, in terms of long-standing commercial themes, I think my favorite are probably the Progressive commercials featuring Flo. I know a lot of people think they're getting kind of old because they've been airing for so long, and I can see how they feel that way. But, at the same time, I feel like a lot of people really like Flo. She has 18,000 followers on twitter, and has made appearances on shows such as House and United States of Tara (she herself is an actress. Her real name is Stephanie Courtney. Sorry if I just bursted your bubble). Some of the progressive commercials aren't as good as others, but the one called Pants on Fire is my favorite. It aired about a year ago this November, and I just think it's really great. I like the subtle comedy and how it isn't over-the-top in the way it achieves its point.



I like the "80's Montage" one too because I love 80's movies and I thought it was hilarious. It's probably a little less effective then some of the other commercials for Progressive, including the "Pants on Fire" one, but I still like it, and I know almost everyone enjoys 80's movies (and if you don't, you need to seriously rethink your priorities. And then go rent The Goonies.)

 
It's kind of ridiculous, but I think it appeals to a lot of people.


Overall, a lot of commercials today are really bad. Usually the best part of commercials are seeing things like movie trailers (or other important things that interest you). 
If you have a favorite commercial that I didn't mention please add it to the comments! I might be writing a paper on this and I'd love to hear some more!

No comments: