Friday, September 7, 2012

Patron Initiated Reservations and The Criterion Collection


Thursday afternoon, I attended an ICTV producer’s meeting in which we discussed Park’s new Patron Initiated Reservations system. Being able to make equipment and location reservations online is an incredible convenience! I want to familiarize myself a little more with the PIR system, so I’ll begin to set up Game Over’s recurring reservations for the semester. 


After talking about silent movies in class, I wanted to find a handful of films to watch as a nice break from “talkies.” I decided to start by going online to The Criterion Collection, which is a wonderful resource that not only distributes classic films, but has information on films in the form of film essays, articles and photo galleries. I’m currently reading about the Japanese filmmaker Yasujiro Ozu and his silent film A Story of Floating Weeds, which he actually remade in color. Out of curiosity, I’d like to view both versions of the film.



Another interesting feature of The Criterion Collection is their assortment of various celebrities’ Top 10 lists. I looked at the musician Adam Yauch’s Top 10 list, who’s selections include films by Akira Kurosawa and Wes Anderson as well as Federico Fellini, who I believe was mentioned in class. After A Story of Floating Weeds, I think I’m going to watch Fellini’s Nights of Cabiria. Unfortunately, The Criterion Collection website lists it as being out of print, but I’ll see if I can’t find it somewhere!


No comments: