Friday, September 21, 2012

Celeste and Jesse Forever

The last film I saw in theaters was an indie film called Celeste and Jesse Forever starring Andy Samberg and Rashida Jones. I decided to go see the film since I really like Rashida Jones and think that Andy Samberg can be funny, but I expected nothing more than a romantic comedy. However, I was pleasantly surprised as the film definitely has comedic elements, but also masterfully pulls at your heart strings as well. Celeste and Jesse Forever is one of those movies that actually surprises you with its plot elements. In the romantic genre, that's something I really commend. It's somewhat hard to shake the boy-meets-girl, boy-gets-girl, boy-loses-girl, boy-gets-girl-back formula. This film, on the other hand, was throwing wrenches left and right - there were so many things that I didn't see coming. The plot was great, the dialogue was both realistic, humorous, and touching, and the actors had great chemistry. Stylistically, the film was also very well done, especially the artsy opening credits. I would definitely recommend this film to anyone, especially people who like unconventional love stories.

No comments: