Friday, September 14, 2012

Hot Rod

As I mentioned in our class introductions, I am extremely interested in comedy. I love comedy films, stand up, SNL, and pretty much anything on TV that will make me laugh. In my current college lifestyle that is filled with class, athletics, and campus activities, I think that it is essential to create time for yourself and just laugh. This week during my own free time, I decided to cruise Netflix for a comedy that could brighten my day. I came across the film, Hot Rod.

Hot Rod stood out to me because of it's star studded cast. Headlined by Andy Samberg, the cast also includes Jorma Taccone, Bill Hader, Danny McBride, Isla Fisher and Will Arnett. Andy Samberg plays Rod Kimble who is an aspiring stuntman like his deceased father, who was Evil Knievil's side kick. The only problem is Rod thinks he is much better than he is actually is: Hilarity ensues. Throughout the movie Rod tried to raise money for his dying step dad so he can prove to him that he is a man. Only his step Dad continually beats him up everyday to prove that he is quite the contrary. Rod finds himself a team and decides to raise money to help pay for his step dad's heart operation. Throughout this process Rod lights himself on fire, attempts a full pool jump (fail), and blows himself up. 

What truly makes this comedy a standout is the references to the 1980's. Weather it is the whacked out apparel that Rod trots out in, or the lines he drops during scenes ("2 Legit 2 Quit"), Samberg steals the show. My favorite scene is the movie is the spoof of the Footloose "Angry Dance Scene." Here is a clip: 


Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this film and it served as a perfect pick me up for this week. I would recommend this to any of the readers who feel the need to belt out a few chuckles. Enjoy!

-Mike Vulcano

No comments: