Friday, September 7, 2012

First Film.....Old Camera.

Most modern technologists and filmmakers would laugh at the sight of this old 8mm Camcorder H460. While some may laugh, others will know that this was the first camera I used as a child to make my first movie. I spent the other night looking through old baby films and old childhood things lying around in my basement, but couldn't come upon the film I made with this old camcorder. It must be in my childhood belongings in California with my dad.

My parents bought this 8mm Camcorder H460 in 1991, two years before I was born. from what I have seen from old VHS' is that they would use this camcorder to record family events like Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthdays, etc. When I was born, everything changed. The camera was used for nothing but for my "so called cute baby things I did." When I looked through these old films, I mean what I say that my parents recorded almost every little thing I did. Whether it was walking, sitting, sleeping, singing, laughing, playing, bathing, even going to the bathroom for crying out loud, they recorded every day of my child years till I was 4 when my parents got divorced.

4 or 5 years later, I borrowed the camera from my mother and made my first "movie." I say this in quotation because as a 7 to 8 year old, I just filmed two friends having a light saber battle from the film Star Wars. What wasn't a movie, but a long recording of a fighting scene turns into a "million dollar movie" in the eyes of a child of that age.

Since I was only 7 or 8, I wasn't aware of the different camera shots and angles that I have learned about the past few years. It was only a wide shot with a number of different pans that followed the talents fighting with their green and red light sabers. As much as I look back on it today, I laugh myself thinking "wow, I just made a fantastic scene from a movie and this will make me rich." If I was to record the same exact scene today from the famous franchise of all time, I would definitely be using more of the special camera techniques (shots, angles, etc.) that I have learned thus far in my college career.

No comments: