Friday, September 7, 2012

capitilization And communication

there was a book i Read a Few years ago where the main character Hated the conformities of written language. she Said she felt Bad for the other letters In the sentence. now, aside From sounding mildly stupid as a principle on Her own, it make me Wonder about how capitilization Works in communication.

I'll stop that now, because it drives me insane. Call me a conformist or whatnot, but I like my capitilization. It did make me think though; what is the reason for it? How does it help our language to get our point across? And more importantly, how does that then transcend to other mediums in spoken word?

Aside from making it easy to see the start of a new sentence, capitilization can be used for emphasis. IF I WRITE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS YOU THINK I'M YELLING. if i type in all lowercase i have the perception of being meek. When this transcends to other spoken and visual forms, capitilization takes its form through the breaths and pauses and accents the actor places in the sentence. It takes form in the director's commentary whose goal is to tell a story in the best way possible.

In many ways I think that character is wrong. She doesn't quite no what the importance is of capitilization. As for the other letters in the sentence, I don't think they mind too much.

No comments: