Friday, September 28, 2012

Boy Meets World



These past two weeks have been a little crazy for me. I've been in and out of the hospital and had other various sicknesses. However, the one thing that I've been using to entertain myself through sleepy recoveries has been the television show Boy Meets World. The show started airing when I was born, however I remember growing up on the re-runs.

When I was about six-years-old, my best friend at the time was a kid I had gone to pre-school with and who had been in my kindergarten class. Because of this, our mothers were also very close, and one of us rarely got away with something the other wasn't supposed to do. The show was well into its sixth season, and I had just started watching. Boy Meets World is a show that truly grows with its characters, and my by the time I was six, the characters were graduating high school and dabbling in the more adult stages of life. My best friend's mom saw a particular episode in which two of the main characters were debating whether or not to have sex, and because of this, she warned my mom not to let me watch the show. It was inappropriate for our young ears.

In a few years my mom had forgotten the warning and I began watching the re-runs on TV. There's something about this show, where the stand-alone episodes work as its own entity, while also creating an ongoing plot throughout the season that makes you want to watch them all in order (which is why I decided to finally watch them all the way through).

I really like that the show started with the main character, Cory, and his friends, Topanga and Shawn, as sixth graders. The entire tone of the show revolved around their youngness and naivete. Cory and Shawn both thought girls were icky, Cory couldn't understand why his brother wanted to date them instead of hanging out with him, and his problems were relatively simple sixth-grade problems.

However, as Cory became older, going from seventh to eighth, to ninth, his problems because more and more complicated. Girls were slowly added to the picture, the realization that one particular girl (Topanga) was someone he loved more than any fifteen-year-old ever should love someone, and the nerves that come with such a difficult time.

I'm really glad I decided to go back and watch the show. Right now I'm about halfway through their tenth-grade year, and I'm excited to see the characters as they reach the roadblocks I've encountered the past few years.

On the flip side, it's also strange to realize that I'm finally older than the characters I've grown up and embolized throughout my childhood.

No comments: