Saturday, September 8, 2012

Finally Purchased Cable

       A few years ago, I was addicted to television. I would come home after school and watch TV, I would have dinner while watching TV, and I would fall asleep watching a late night talk show or some comedy special on HBO or Comedy Central. When senior year of high school ended, I received a job at a sleep away summer camp and I would have work 24/7 for the whole summer watching kids and sleeping in a cabin. There were no TVs and I could only use my computer a few hours out of the week when I had time off. I didn't watch any TV the entire summer and the only movies I saw were Toy Story 3 and Shrek during movie nights for eleven and twelve year-olds. When my summer job was over, I had five days left of summer before my freshman year of college began. I was excited to have a few days to myself to watch TV, catch up on movies, and hang out with my friends. The day after I came home, the news was filled with hurricane warnings in my area. My parents said that I should leave for school early in order to avoid the harsh weather and arrive safely. The next day, I packed up all my belongings and left for Ithaca. I was home for a mere two days out of the entire summer, I didn't see many of my friends, and my dreams of sitting on the couch and catching up on TV and movies faded away.




        I didn't have cable during my freshman year and the only times that I watched TV were when I ate in the dining halls. The dining halls have a limited selection of news shows and sports games. I brought a rather large television to school and a DVD player so I could watch movies but my friend cable was still out of the equation. After freshman year ended, I was home for three weeks before I left to work at the summer camp again. During my short stay at home, I spent time with my family, caught up on a few of my favorite shows, and went to the movies twice a week. Once again, I didn't watch TV during this summer but I did see The Dark Knight Rises on a day off. I had a week home before I left for school and spent it with my family and friends rather than relaxing on the couch and getting sucked into the world of television. After that week was up, I returned to Ithaca College and was excited to start my sophomore year. My goal was to spend as little money as possible this year so I didn't want to buy cable. The other day, my roommates convinced me to get cable with them and it's good to be back. I can keep up with my shows and relax after a long day of work. I've been watching more TV and more movies than ever and I'm learning a lot by analyzing episodes and watching more quality films. If you don't have cable, I recommend you buy a simple cable package. It's nice to watch TV again after being away from it for about two years.

No comments: