Wednesday, April 1, 2015

School of Rock

The other week I was going through some DVD's from when I was a kid and I stumbled upon School of Rock. One of my childhood movies, I decided to watch it again in order to see if my perceptions held over all these years.

Directed by Richard Linklater, this comedy based around Rock & Roll music was released in late 2003. In this film Jack Black, playing Dewey Finn, secretly takes over the job of his roommate (Mike White) as a substitute teacher after he is kicked out of his Rock band. Upon hearing of an upcoming Battle of the Bands competition, Dewey decides to teach his class how to play in order to compete in the competition. One of the students in Dewey's class happened to be young star Miranda Cosgrove, this film being her debut.



After watching this film for the first time in years I have to say it more than held up to my expectations this time around. This movie is still, to me, one of the greatest comedic films ever made. Jack Black plays such a powerful yet hilarious role and his delivery is always spectacular. The films plot, although similar to Dead Poets Society, is told in an extremely original manner. Both of the films tell the story of an individual who comes into a group and changes the group for the better. Most all aspects of this movie are strong, especially the casting and soundtrack. School of Rock has to be one of the funniest and most easily quotable movies I have ever seen. This film will always have a place in my heart for what I believe is good reason. Everyone should, at some point, check this film out. I would give it a 9/10 and always give it my recommendation.


No comments: