Thursday, April 9, 2015

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Monty Python and the Holy Grail, known for being one of the most famous British comedies ever made, is one of my all time favorite movies. Originally I didn't understand the film; however the more I grew and the more times I watched it the better it got. The first time that I ever saw this film was with the entirety of my extended family, it was almost as if it was a right of passage. I was expected to sit there in complete silence other than when a joke was told, in which case I was expected to laugh. To be honest the first time I watched through the film I really did not get the humor at all. I sat there in silence pretending to get the jokes, as to not insult a family favorite, but I just didn't get it.



Written and produced by the Monty Python comedy group in 1975, this film is a cult classic known for its goofy humor and extreme quotability. Constantly breaking out of the narrative and taking the viewer down unexpected and exciting plot paths, Monty Python and the Holy Grail is considered the troupe's first real film.  Co-directed by Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones this film was a colossal success with a gross of over 130 million dollars as opposed to its tiny budget of around 400 thousand dollars.



This film follows King Arthur as he seeks the Holy Grail, along the way gathering companions that later become the Knights of the Round Table. The tale follows their quest through different dangerous locations and past deadly foes until they eventually reach the castle in which the Grail is known to be held. Due to its small budget the film is infamous for its cuts and tactics to save money. For example, there is an ongoing joke in the film in which the actors clap coconuts together and gallop as if they are riding on horses because the production could not afford actual horses.



This film is an absolute gem. It has endless quotes and re-watchability, personally I have seen in countless times. I would recommend this to everyone who is in need of seeing a good comedy.


No comments: