Friday, November 2, 2012

"Homeland" Opening

Showtime shows have some interesting opening credits. "Dexter" and it's opening makes use of some great cinematography and chilling sound effects to effectively creep the viewer out upon each viewing. But what about "Homeland" and it's opening credit sequence? Take a look at the video below. It has some of the clips from it's opening along with the music.

Using disorienting jazz music and a plethora of oddly placed diegetic sounds, this is easily one of the oddest opening credit sequences I've ever seen. The images don't help with my confusion either. Characters are shown standing in a maze and videos of the 9/11 attacks taking place also bring about more questions for me. Perhaps the credits are more important than I think in this show, but so far I have yet to see many correlations, yet. I'm about one episode away from finishing the first season, and if I am proven wrong, I will post the results here. But so far, the opening isn't my favorite, and I would prefer it if they tried to be a little less jarring with something the viewer watches at the beginning of every episode.

No comments: