Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Adventure of Pete and Pete

People my age or slightly older often reminisce about nostalgic TV shows that are no where to be found on the tube today. Early 90s Nickelodeon shows are usually the topic of discussion. Late at night on TeenNick, old Nickelodeon shows such as Doug, Keenan & Kel, All That, and Rugrats air. I feel like a little kid as I watch the shows but I tend not to often due to their simple story lines and mediocre jokes. I think people watch old TV shows to experience that nostalgic feeling and travel back in time in a way. Although I stay up late once a week and watch the old shows, I miss watching The Adventure of Pete and Pete; a Nickelodeon show that aired from 1993-1996 and starred Danny Tamberelli and Mike Maronna. The story was about two red-haired brothers, both named Pete, that have a dad obsessed with bowling and a mom that has a plate in her head. Other characters include disgusting lunch ladies, scary teachers, and a local superhero named Artie. The show is narrated by the Older Pete, Danny Tamberelli, and their coming of age stories and hijinks are highlighted. What happened to fell good family shows with quality writing and dynamic characters? The shows that I watched as a boy shaped who I am today and nowadays, those shows are no where to be found. The shows featured more mature themes back then and today, it seems as if TV shows aren't exposing kids to real situations and instill a false sense of reality among the youth. I recommend you watch the feel good Nickelodeon show The Adventures of Pete and Pete. After watching the show, think about how it compares with shows on Nickelodeon today.


No comments: