Friday, November 16, 2012

American: The Bill Hicks Story

This week I watched American: The Bill Hicks Story for the first time. Several friends had been recommending it to me for a few weeks so one night before I went to bed I pulled it up on netflix and watched it. Coming from a background of limited knowledge about Bill Hicks I was excited to learn about the man who was referred to as the finest comedian America ever produced. The thing about this documentary that stood out to me the most was not the story, which was amazing, but the visual style. All of the narration is done over animated pictures of Bill and his friends throughout their lives. You don't even see the people talking until the end of the doc. Bill HIcks The visual style is stunning and draws you into the mesmerizing story. You feel like you know who Bill Hicks was as a person by the end of this doc. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is a fan of animation or comedy.

No comments: