Thursday, November 1, 2012

Exit Through the Gift Shop: A Hoax?


I’ve always been really interested in street art, especially the artist who guys by Banksy. This past week, while my friend and I were on netflix looking for a movie to watch, we found a film called Exit Through the Gift Shop. The synopsis said the film was done by Banksy, and about a current street artist  named "Mr. Brainwash" and how he came to be. We were more then excited to watch it, however unfortunately it wasn’t anything like we expected. 

It told the story about French filmmaker Thierry Guetta, who was always filming everything in his life that he partook in. While filming as usual, he realizes that the street artist “Invader” is related to him, and he becomes infatuated. He soon starts to contact Banksy and follows him around and films him. After this, he begins his own street art career, however he isn’t actually making the street art; he is having other people make it for him. Strangely he gets huge attention because Banksy promotes him. The art is not original, and he basically did nothing to create the art. This made street art seem like a joke, and all those people who came and paid money were basically goofed. I was kind of confused whether this was all a hoax ,and whether street art in general was a joke. 

My friend and I were both uneasy after watching it, and we both agree that “Mr. Brainwash” (Thierry Guetta) was a fake, and the whole movie wasn’t real. I don’t even think Banksy was involved in it, seeing as we don’t see him at all, just an anonymous face and voice claiming to be him. Although there are many different perspectives of the film, I definitely think that the movie is a joke and makes fun of the seriousness that can be attributed to street art. But, if you don’t believe me see the film for yourself and you can decide. The film does a good job with educating you with the history of street art, and where it's so popular. I'm still a fan of street art, and will continue to partake in the process around Ithaca, however this film did not do a very good job in motivating me to continue to do so. 

No comments: