Friday, November 9, 2012

"Argo" Review

Recently I went to the theaters and got to see "Argo". This is Ben Affleck's latest film and in my opinion, probably his best. This film is one of those movies that seems to just be perfect in almost every aspect. Without ruining too much, I'll try to explain why.

"Argo" opens with storyboards of a fictional movie, and it transitions into a fantastic intro that grabs you immediately with a sense of threat and urgency. It deals with the Iranian hostage crisis that occurred from 1979-1981. We see the point of views of a group of American embassy escapees who are now trying to return to America. Cue Ben Affleck's character who is an expert in extraction and is brought in by the CIA and Brian Cranston's character to help out.

This is where the movie really stands out. It manages to take this incredibly doom and gloom concept of rescuing fugitives and we get story telling that is anything but that. "Argo" weaves together drama,   humour and tension into this great engaging storyline. The characters are all different and each and every one of them are well developed, even the secondary character stay away from being bland or boring. 

The other reason I loved this movie was because it has possibly one of the tensest scene's I've ever seen. My heart was beating of my chest for nearly ten minutes, and it's no surprise how this movie ends; after all, it's history.

Overall I highly suggest going out and seeing this movie, I have a strong feeling this will win some Oscars, and it definitely deserves it.


No comments: