Thursday, November 29, 2012

Use of wide angle distortion in Fear and Loathing


This past weekend, I watched one of my favorite films of all time, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I always noticed that this film was disorienting to watch, but I never understood how they got this effect until I started taking film classes. I've learned that using an extreme wide angle lens creates this effect. The subject in the foreground looks very large and up close, while the background looks tiny and far away. This fit with the theme of the movie since the protagonists are always getting high on some type of drug, or tripping on something. They also tilted the camera slightly, creating an even more uneasy feeling. This got you into the mind state of the characters so the viewer can grasp what they're going through mentally. 

There is also a clear use of color gels while filming, which set the mood for certain scenes. This film definitely could have been done very crazily since most of it is hallucinations, but it isn't nauseating at all. Although plot wise, there isn't too much of a climax or excitement, it definitely engages you with the cinematography and characters. 

No comments: