Monday, November 5, 2012

Use of Well Known Songs

I was walking back to the top of campus alone from the TV studio. I was scanning the campus in an almost paranoid fashion. It was cold, there was no one outside, and I could almost merge into the quiet, it was surreal.

The Simon and Garfunkel song "Sound of Silence" came into my head. But like I often find myself doing I was free styling it after the first two lines and the song transformed. It became darker, more creepy, and could fit into a trailer for a horror story. I see how the song would be mixed in my head and it would be awesome.

Anyways I started thinking about this and how movies have done this before and how effective it can be. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo directed by David Fincher used a creepy remix of "Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin in the movie trailer and set a mood prior to even watching the movie. Horror movies often use nursery rhymes or innocent sounding or popular songs to creep out the audience.



I found this to be really cool because it's such a simple concept. I also found it to be rather funny because I am using this idea in the "Happy Birthday" short with the song Happy Birthday.

No comments: