Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Office Space

Saturday afternoon I made an amazing decision. I plugged an ethernet cable into the back of my blu-ray player. I now have streaming Netflix on my television. Win! My roommates and I have spent countless hours since then watching How I Met Your Mother and various movies. One of the movies that showed up in the "Recommended for Breanne"(or whatever that section is called) was Office Space.



Office Space is a comedy released in 1999 written and directed by Mike Judge. Office Space follows a group of dissatisfied coworkers at Initech who decide to rebel against their boss and the company. The main character, Peter (Ron Livingston), is miserable. He's also dating Anna at the beginning. Anna convinces him to see a hypnotherapist and the guy dies mid-session. This leaves Peter in a state where he's happy and doesn't care about anything. Like almost every other movie, there was a love story mixed in it. Peter ends up dating another girl, Joanna (played by Jennifer Aniston.) The humor is interesting and uses a lot of repetition in its jokes. Office Space uses stereotypes really well. They have the boss, the smiling receptionist, the weird guy, and a bunch of typically dissatisfied workers.

At the very beginning of the movie I wasn't sure that I was going to like it but a friend who was over told me to give it a few minutes. I'm glad I did because I found out that it was a pretty funny and enjoyable movie. Was it predictable? Yes. Did I like it any less because of that? No. If you haven't seen it and want to sit down, watch a movie, and laugh a little, I would recommend Office Space.

No comments: