Thursday, October 18, 2012

It's That Time of Year Again...



Halloween is one of my favorite times of year. The Halloween cult classic movies that surround this time are the movies I look forward to all year. One of the first Halloween movies I remember falling in love with was Hocus Pocus.

This movie has everything, a girl named Dani, who I just wanted to be, a creepy fairytale come true, and and adorable cat, Thackery Binx...you can't get much better than that. Bette Midler plays the crazy, evil, Winnie Sanderson, with Sarah Jessica Parker playing the almost loveable Sarah Sanderson. The sisters are insane, as is the story line in general, but you can't help but love the movie. It doesn't hurt that every viewing is a teaspoon full of nostalgia.

As I got a bit older I discovered the terrifically crappy Halloweentown movies that would air on the Disney Channel every year.


The original movie spawned equally crappy sequels, but every one has some quality of catchyness you can't ignore. Even still, I get some strange pleasure out of watching the reruns when it airs. The theme song is catchy as hell as well, and will no doubt be stuck in your head for a few weeks afterwards, easily carrying you into christmastime jingles.

The final Halloween movie that's made its way into my yearly Halloween line-up is Rocky Horror Picture Show.

For the few of you who don't know, the movie was made in '75 and has become one of the largest cult movies to date, with one of the biggest followings. The movie itself is nearly impossible to describe, and the live-action showings that surround it are even harder to describe, but I can definitely say I anxiously await the showings every year.

Obviously this isn't a complete list of all the great Halloween movies that have ever been made, nor is it even close, but these three are a few that I grew up with and remind me of cozy nights and warm apple cider...and those are the best nights.

No comments: