Friday, October 12, 2012

"Revolution" First Impressions


The new NBC show "Revolution" began airing a few weeks ago. I decided to start watching it, as the commercials had interested me for some time. So I go to NBCs website and watched the first four episodes which they have conveniently placed online for all to see. Within the first episode I am greeted with some of the best visual effects I've ever seen on television (excluding "Game of Thrones", which it comes close to), excellent cinematography, and an intriguing concept. Admittedly not everything is perfect; the acting seemed a little forced occasionally, and the story moves a bit too fast where I feel like they skim over events like traveling. However this show, thus far, has grabbed my attention.

To give those of you who don't know a basic overview of what the show is about, a worldwide event takes place in which anything powered by electricity essentially stops working. Fast forward about ten years and the world is now a militia run and overgrown post apocalyptic-like mess. This is not the only conflict though, our main character Charlie, sees her father murdered in front of her, and now she is finding out more and more secrets about him and his mysterious brother who she seeks the help of.
The show's brilliant concept gives in a lot of room to work with, and right now and I can see it going in a multitude of different directions.


So I really do praise this VFX team, the work they've put in so far has been wonderful. Also, the acting has gotten progressively better and less cheesy as the story has progressed. Giancarlo Esposito from "Breaking Bad" plays another villain in this and he is easily the captivating character in show due to both the performance and the writing. 

Overall this show is one of 2012s best produced shows and I highly suggest it to anyone interested in the scifi drama genre. 

No comments: