Friday, October 5, 2012

Ed Norton

    Recently, I rented 25th Hour starring Edward Norton on Itunes. I saw parts of the movie in the past and my friend recommended it on Thursday. The movie follows a drug dealer, Montgomery Brogan (Edward Norton), that is caught by the DEA and the 24 hours before his seven year jail sentence are highlighted. The movie is directed by Spike Lee and the lighting and cuts are unlike many movies. The large streets shots in NYC are very dark and Lee plays with shadows by lighting entire streets and having wide shots. Also, there are many scenes where one action is followed by the same action but from a different angle. For example, in the beginning of the movie when Montgomery Brogan slams his trunk closed, the shot is from behind him and the trunk closes and then the next cut is to a side shot and the trunk is closed again. This style is disorienting to the audience and it made me realize that I was watching a movie instead of seducing me through the story.


Edward Norton has always been one of my favorite actors. Movies such as American History X, Fight Club, and Moonrise Kingdom could easily be in my top ten favorite movies list. I find it very strange that many people say that I look like certain celebrities. Over the years I've gotten Asher Roth, Ryan Gosling, Benjamin McKenzie, Kevin Cusack, and recently, Edward Norton. Some of my friends at school now call me Ed. I know this seems strange because 1.) I don't think I look much like Edward Norton, 2.) I've received so many comments on actors I look like but I often disagree and 3.) a "you look like John Cusack" comment insults me. My roommate Conor said, "You don't look exactly like Edward Norton but you look like him more so than others." This is a strange comment but I've recently begun to understand that I do look more like Edward Norton than others. I recommend that people begin to watch multiple Edward Norton films if they haven't seen them yet. The post below me is about Fight Club and Edward Norton is gaining more and more attention.



No comments: