Friday, October 12, 2012

Music Video Editor's Nightmare

In one of my earlier posts, I wrote about musical adaptations from stage to film, and then further explained my love for the combination of music and film. Well, here goes again! How better can you combine music and motion pictures? the answer: music videos. This is where I hope to see my career going at some point. I love music videos, because there's only 3-4 minutes of time to make a masterpiece, so you better be on your A-game. Every single shot and every pixel of the frame needs to be perfect. My dream is to edit music videos for rock bands. Unfortunately my favorite bands have stopped recording new music and thus stopped making music videos; for example, google "80's hair bands," and any name that pops up. Anyways, back to the topic at hand: music video perfection. I have a few examples of great music videos, however I have them split into two categories - ones that inspire me, and ones that could theoretically put me out of business. We'll start off with the latter.

This is a fantastic video, and extremely entertaining in a very quirky way. It was a viral video that is one of the main reasons the band got the amount of popularity that they have today. But what is my fear of this video? The fact that its all one shot. No editing. A lot of choreography, but no editing. This saddens my heart.

Similar thing. Great music video; its about as simplistic as it gets. Blank background, black and white picture, three dancers, pretty much one shot. But, this time more camera motion, more choreography, and a few cuts here and there, but still, my heart is sad.

Now we're getting somewhere! This throwback jam from the 80's has probably one of the coolest effects I've seen, and its pulled off fairly well. The blending of sketches and live-action footage arises so many questions in my mind. How did they do it? How long did it take? Why is that guy's voice extremely feminine? And most of all, this inspires me to edit and make effects that can blend fantasy with reality and become a timeless work of art such as this. This makes my heart say "mmmmmm fairies," which is good, I think.

Finally, this video is like crack to me. Delicious. This must have taken an eternity to edit. And at least three to set up and film it. And seeing that many drumsets makes me drool. This is beautiful, and my heart might just explode with excitement and inspiration to film and edit a combination stop-motion, with live-action footage.

I could take up this whole blog with links to all my favorite music videos, but i think you get my point now. In sum, I love editing, I love music, I love drums, and finally, I love my parents... in that order. Just kidding Mom! Happy Birthday.

Sincerely,
Scott Walle

No comments: