Friday, October 5, 2012



As this season's shows are finally starting to be up and running, I've been getting increasingly more impatient with the new episodes of some of my favorite shows. "Once Upon a Time" is one of the shows I've been anxiously awaiting since it's finale last season.

When the show started last year, I remember sitting in Intro to Media Industries trying to figure out what pilots would survive and which ones would flunk. "Once Upon a Time" was one of the shows that was in my failure list. I was so used to watching American TV fail at fantasy shows, I wasn't even going to give this one a chance. I'd leave my fantasy shows to the Brits. Finally, about halfway through the season, my best friend told me I had to watch it. The two of us see eye to eye on just about everything: music, books, TV, hobbies, etc... She's one of the only people who would be able to convince me to watch something I wasn't sure on, and she did.

First off, I have to say, I'm really glad I gave it a chance.

The show is really well written; the subplots are all seamlessly interlaced, forming a latticework of characters. The design of the show is beautiful. I want to steal all the gowns off the characters. The actors are all brilliant, especially Jared Gilmore, who plays the little boy, Henry. It also doesn't hurt that Emilie de Ravin, who played my favorite character on "Lost," plays Belle, my favorite Disney princess.

The season premiere aired this past Sunday after a cliffhanger that left us with the characters finally remembering their fairytale pastlife. The new season promises a host of new chracters, from Mulan to Captain Hook, as well as a storyline just as exciting as the first season.

I'm excited to see the direction the show takes over the course of the year. It's safe to say this is one, and possibly only, fantasy show the U.S. didn't screw up.

No comments: