Friday, October 5, 2012

The Cursed Memory Card

Well, well, well. I knew it was bound to happen. There are just some unlucky things I've happened to find myself owning in my life. This week, I discovered one of those things....


My memory card. My Transcend 32 GB memory card. I lost it. Completely lost. No idea where it is. But more importantly, I lost one of my group mate's projects with it.

This isn't the first time I've had bad luck with this particular card though.

Over the summer – I lived and worked in Ireland for about 5 weeks – my friend and I took a train to Dublin for the weekend to sightsee (and of course take plenty of pictures with my nice Nikon DSLR camera.)

Now, I'm not a complete fool. I know that things can go wrong. That's why I brought three memory cards with me. Two 8 GB cards and my 32 GB. I figured that if something went wrong with one or if I lost one, I'd have two back ups.

So, we get in to Dublin on the train that morning. I'm taking pictures. It's going well. We stop in at the world famous Guinness Factory for a free pint of beer and a tour. Turns out they have a great rooftop bar that offers an excellent view of the city. Excellent place for a picture, right? It was. It was perfect, I got the perfect picture to sum up the weekend trip.

The rest of the day went well too! I was getting a lot of great pictures of Dublin.

The next morning, we decided to take a quick tour of Dublin's Trinity College.

I get up to a rotating metal statue in the centre of the college's quad to take a close-up, and I go to snap the picture. A tiny little beeping noise goes off and the screen reads "CARD READ ERROR."

Apparently this statue was magnetized and wiped my card of the pictures from the first day.

Just my luck.

No comments: