Sunday, October 16, 2011

SNL Today

So, SNL These days is taking a lot of hits.

I am a huge fan of SNL - I got a book on the history of the show from the library this summer and buried myself in it. The show has such an interesting history, and learning especially about the first 5 years really got me excited about the show. But, watching it does not always give me all the laughs that the old episodes did.

Here is an old clip from the famous Samurai Delicatessen sketch, a real classic that is still generally well-known today:




Here is a website with a list of clips from the show with Anna Farris.

There are a ton of really horrible parts of these sketches...you can see them looking at cue cards and everything, it is disappointing to watch.

What I think they show needs is a strong focus on the talent. Back in the 70's when the show started, the group of actors and actresses were from Second City and other well-known comedy groups. Today, the actors are from similar pools, but they don't all seem to have the same amount of talent. I also think that choice of host is important - this is seen especially in this episode.

I also think that because of censoring conflicts I have read about in the book, Live From New York, I understand that it has been getting harder and harder to get skits past the censors if they are not P.C. I think that true comedic talent cannot really shine unless we have the ability to laugh at ourselves, and when censorship rules and laws prohibit certain jokes because they may offend someone it hinders our ability to enjoy comedy to its fullest extent.

I am not saying that the show has gone 100% down hill...Kristen Wiig, among others, are absolutely hilarious. It is possible that we all think SNL has gone down the drain because it was once so brilliant and ground breaking that it set its own standards so high that it may never fill its own shoes.

Let's hope it does. :)

No comments: