Monday, September 12, 2011

real life in animation

That was a look in to the choreography of Samurai Jack. I’m a fan of cartoons and I really like action cartoons. Samurai jack is a great cartoon show for many reasons but what sticks out for me are the fights. What I love about Samurai Jack is how thought out the fight scenes are and how it’s not like the artists just throw in a bunch of cool looking moves, ever thing that is done by a charter is a real Kung Fu move and isn’t just a montage of punches.
For a while I didn’t know how much animation depended on real life for references to how people move and dress. I was watching the special features on the season one dvd of Archer and found out that they even dressed people in the clothing the characters would wear and made them move around just to get a feel for how the fabric and clothing would look from different angles.
This video really shows what goes into make a good cartoon. Good fight scenes use the real world to stay grounded. Unlike some Japanese shows that have characters punching each other really fast for 2 minutes choreography in fights really involves the audience and make a better viewing experience


No comments: