Tuesday, September 6, 2011

40 Year Old Pixar Animation

40 Year Old 3D Computer Graphics (Pixar, 1972) from Robby Ingebretsen on Vimeo.


I found this video in an article on Huffington Post. I found it really interesting to watch some of the early versions of 3D animation, especially because I love Pixar movies and shorts. I know this makes me sound geeky, but I always really liked watching how the character's hair was animated. I first noticed it in the scene in Monster's Inc. where Mike and Sully are banished into the Himalayas with the Abominable Snow Man. Mike is throwing snow cones at Sully and they way that they hit his fur while it blows around in the fierce storm wind. Unfortunately, I can't find the video from the scene, but I did find this trailer...


...for a new Pixar movie coming out in summer of 2012 called "Brave," where the lead characher has large, frizzy red hair. While I have never gotten very into animation outside of loving the movies and shorts, I think that it would be really interesting to learn about. Watching the 40 year old animation project made me wonder what the process looks like today, and how much similar the processes are. I would love to work at Pixar one day...not particularly in the animation department but perhaps in the creative aspects of story development or production.

It is always fun to see how far technology has progressed over the years, but this 40 year old animation was not what I expected at all. I had always imagined that 3D animation was a younger technology. Watching this video helped me realize how far the technology has come, and I am so excited to see what comes next....

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/32873/whose-brain-will-the-new-pixar-movie-be-set-in

Jackie

No comments: