Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Clockwork Orange

Yesterday I had a wonderful day of shopping for props for my latest involvement in a film series and a lovely sushi dinner from Wegman's. LOVE WEGMAN'S!!! Durring my dinner I had decided since I had been keeping up with my work so well in both shoots I'd celebrate and watch a film, cause gee... since I'm a film student shouldn't I watch FILMS?! So I got on my iTunes account and finding that I still had some money left over on my account from when I bought my laptop, I'd use it to rent a film. In my searching I found a section in the "store" that suggested famous indi films. My eye was captured by "A Clockwork Orange". SO many people have told me "Hey, Lucy if you like films, you like indi films, the film Savage Grace has been and always will be at the bottom of your "favorite film's" list (but always remain on the list none the less), YOU SHOULD WATCH A CLOCKWORK ORANGE!!!
   Anyway, I rented it! I watched the trailer while I waited for the film to load. The trailer is a tiny (said with a high pitched voice) little piece of  the obnoxiousness displayed on screen when watching the film.


A warning to any who feel it now necessary to go out buy the film and watch it six or seven hundred times in your basement with the lights off. IT IS HIGHLY HIGHLY DISTURBING!! If you plan on watching this film I recommend doing being fully prepared for extreme sexual content and incredible violence all rolled into one!

Now, what I really wanted to blog about for this movie is the Psychological references and points this film makes. Specifically conditioned learning. During the film our "humble narrator" goes about his usual routine of selfish pillaging. From the beginning we see the world through Alex's (the main antagonist and "humble narrator") eyes. To him there was no law no order just living for himself and ruling over all. By the end we see though the world's perspective viewing of Alex's character as he changes and how the world still sees him no differently than they should have in the first place. In order for society or the "government" to change Alex's character they had to put him through a medical technique which made it completely unbearable for him to be comfortable in his own skin and upon several encounters when he returns to reality he encounters inadvertently all the things he had now been psychologically trained to avoid. Thus, making his new life a living hell. His true character prevailed in the end to going back to the way he always was before. Only this time he is protected to a degree by the government.

All in all it was an awesome film I highly recommend it!

No comments: