Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Devotion

I want to share with everyone this video I came across in my Introduction to Field Production class. It's from a series of short films that Sony produced called "Dreams", and the writing really impressed me. I feel that a good script is not always lengthy dialogue with lots of complicated characters. Sometimes the story line does not need to rely on the dialogue. When a script accomplishes this it really draws the audience into the film. This gets you thinking and makes you an active audience member.


The first time watching this I knew something was off with the main character, played by Tony Hale, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I realize some people will catch the twist before I did, but it caught me off guard. I love it when a script can do that to me, just like in The Sixth Sense.


I really enjoyed all the Sony Dreams short films. I thought they all had a very high production value. The next video, Intolerable, does the opposite of the last video and does not really leave you with a clear idea about what is going on. Sometimes it's also best to leave the viewer guessing instead of the script providing the twist or ending.

1 comment:

Lucy Lynne' Hall said...

This is wonderful, I absolutely love that Hank looks like a dog the entire time and then when you see the real (Hank) dog they actually look very similar. Good post!