Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Video Filter

Arturo had a good idea for our GD where we play with the color corrector and video style of the movie to make the surroundings of our main character look dark and gritty while allow her to be bright and cheerful, emphasizing the point that she doesn't belong at this food company. On idea I had was using that effect--most often used in photography--where everything is de-saturated in color while a select one or two colors is bright and rich. That way, we could have our main character stand out by dressing her in a specific color not used in the background and then making all the other color de-saturated except that one, giving the video an interesting clash. My only problem is that I don't know what the effect is called, though I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. Does anyone know what that effect is called or whether or not it is in Final Cut Pro?

1 comment:

arturo said...

Like I mentioned in my other comments to similar issues, this will be done inside the color correction tools of Final Cut Pro (can also be done in AE). I will demonstrate that in class when we go over advanced editing and color correction (coming up!)

Again, just make sure your original material is well exposed, balanced etc. Balanced does not mean "flat". You can have a lot of contrast, backlight, glare etc. I just has to be within the color, saturation and contrast range of digital video.