Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Shows I've Been Watching While Coughing My Guts Out

Well, hi there. I wasn't in class on Tuesday (or in any classes on Monday, either) because I have the flu. The past few days have consisted of going through an entire box of Kleenex, learning to love Ibuprofen, and waking up my roommate with my extremely loud coughs in the middle of the night. To keep my mind off of the fact that I can't breathe through my nose or talk above a whisper anymore, I've been catching up on some shows that I've been slacking on. I'm now all caught up with Bones (if anyone watches Bones and has thoughts on Hannah & Booth, comment with them on this post, I wanna know) and with the BBC show Merlin. I'd be really surprised if anyone else (other than Alyssa Walker) knows about this show, since it doesn't have a large cult following like Dr. Who or anything like that. Merlin is basically a completely non-canon retelling of how Arthur came to be King Arthur and Merlin came to be, well, Merlin. Merlin works as a servant for Prince Arthur (they're both about 20, I think- see, I told you it wasn't canon) and they go on many adventures, etc. Prince Arthur, however, doesn't know that Merlin has magic, since Arthur's father King Uther has banned magic from Camelot. What I think is interesting is that the creators of Merlin took a lot of inspiration from Smallville. As a result, Merlin does a lot of the same things Clark Kent does in the first few seasons of Smallville- saving his friends when they're not looking, learning more about his powers, and befriending other magic people only to have them die or leave, leaving Merlin alone again with his secret. Just thought it was interesting. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go find another box of Kleenex.

4 comments:

JTritschler said...

Thoughts on Hannah and Booth:
1. Hannah is an idiot.
2. I was hoping she wouldn't last long.
3. Booth, I'm the marrying kind. I'll love you in 30, or 40, or 50 years.

That's all I have to say.

<3 p.s. Becca I hope you're feeling better.

Corinne said...

I completely LOVE Merlin!!! So I actually understand what your talking about. Also what did you think of the season 3 season finale?

Corinne said...

Also becca I hope your feeling better :)

Rebecca said...

season 3 finale = awesome. round table, arthur + gwen, everything. i love gawain and lancelot and i'm really happy that they'll be sticking around for more than just one episode at a time. at least, I hope they'll be?
definitely feeling better, I just have to get over a cough now :P