Friday, December 7, 2012

The new Wizard of Oz!?!

  Walt Disney Pictures recently announced that they will be coming out with a new film called "Oz the Great and Powerful" a prequel to the classic 1939 film "The Wizard of Oz."  The story is that of a man named Oscar Diggs a struggling magician for Kansas who is transported to Land of Oz.  Once there Oscar, played by James Franco, is told he has been prophesied to take down the evil witch and must use his powers of illusion and "magic" to defeat her.

  This new film pay homage to the original and directly incorporates aspects and even characters in order to give a fuller understanding of how the Land of Oz from "The Wizard of Oz" came to be.  I personally think that this film has a very interesting storyline and will cleverly tie together the story of "the man behind the curtain" aka Oz, a character who was super important in the original but was very mysterious and never fully developed.  The potential for a solid plot combined with Disney's excellence in special effects and most recently 3D advances are all aspects that could make this movie very good in its own right.  However there is another aspect of this to consider.  Even if this movie is terrible, and I mean awful, I will still make a substantial amount of money primarily because it is tied to the original.

  I think that this movie in all likelihood will be pretty good and enjoyable, although I'm not entirely sure how I like the idea of trying to add to a great and well known film that has stood alone for over 60 years. Regardless of how I feel about this, I will go and see it to check on how it matches up in comparison…something I think almost anyone who has seen the original "Wizard of Oz" will do.  So although I do not know for sure if this movie will actually be good or not I am certain that it will be a box office hit.

No comments: