Friday, December 7, 2012

Into Darkness Teaser Trailer

At 3:01am yesterday morning, 12/6, the new Star Trek teaser trailer was released.


Here was me and my roommate's first reaction:

We were ecstatic. One of the reasons being that we got to hear the voice of Benedict Cumberbatch AND see him in a number of shots, which we were both not expecting. Now don't get me wrong, Hannah and I were both very happy to see this trailer for a plethora of reasons since we are both semi-Trekkies (I've even met Leonard Nimoy!!), but for this post's sake I'm mainly going to focus on our friend, Benedict Cumberbatch.  Benedict, if you don't remember from a previous post, plays the title character in the British television show Sherlock. This is how he mainly gained his popularity. He actually plays opposite Martin Freeman who is playing Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit, while Benedict is voicing the dragon, Smaug, and the Necromancer. Aside from his appearance in The Hobbit, this will be Benedict's first major role in a Hollywood production. 
Being many months before the expected release date on May 17th 2013 and with much speculation surrounding his character, we thought that they would decide not to show Benedict at all this time around. However, in this teaser we see him a number of times seeking 'vengeance.' Knowing that he is the villain of the film, but not knowing what character he is portraying has caused some uproar amongst the fandom. It was rumored for the longest time that he would be portraying Khan, the notorious dictator, however, it has not been confirmed and Benedict has actually denied the association. Some characters that he might possibly be portraying are Khan, Gary Mitchell, Charlie X, or some new character that we have not seen before. I actually hope it is the latter because I would like some new characters.
Regardless of who he plays, I can not wait to see Benedict in his first major Hollywood role.
I have seen him go from the top 5000 on IMDB to 32. I am very proud of him.
Watch him in Sherlock if you haven't!

No comments: