Monday, December 3, 2012

Getting into Character

Acting can be very challenging to the actor and their body as far as getting into character. Many professional actors have to gain weight, lose weight, learn new skills, or many other strategies to get into character.

I have been in three real projects in college and I've tried my best to get into character. On the first shoot I was told that I needed to be depressed and had no other direction. So I worked my way into a depression. Two weeks later I needed to pretty much have the same thing for one of my own projects. This one was significantly more difficult. I listened to the most hope sapping songs I knew, slept less than I should, and ate less than I would have liked to. And the toughest part was I was really excited for the shoot, so being depressed was difficult.

The last shoot I did had a 4 am call time. Luckily I needed to be a zombie, so staying up all night made it easy. What made it difficult was that I started getting the loopy loops. Not only did not getting sleep take an impact on my health, but eating only unhealthy food, running around and other things just took a toll on me. I had a leadership retreat and had a film shoot later where I was crew, and everyone was entertained or annoyed with my lack of comprehension on social standards and comprehension.

Look I'm a zombie!


No comments: