Friday, December 7, 2012

It's Cold in Ithaca, but "Hot in Cleveland"





Well, it is nearing that part of the semester where everything falls apart... luckily, I still manage to find time to relax a little bit to some fun, comedy TV. My latest hook has been on a show called "Hot in Cleveland," created by Suzanne Martin, that airs on TV Land. This wonderful comedy is about four older women, originally from L.A., who try to find a new life in Cleveland. Between midlife crisis and the men that fall in and out of their lives, these woman keep you constantly laughing. The four main actresses are Valerie Bertinelli, Jane Leeves, Wendie Malick, and (drum roll) Betty White!

All four women are fantastic actresses. I'm still astonished at how hard and how much Betty White works, but I'm so thankful because she is so talented! This show is really helping me keep a smile during this hard time of finals. The most interesting aspect of this show though, is that it is filmed in front of a live studio audience. In some of my acting classes, the difference in acting between shows that are just filmed for TV and those that are filmed in front of a live audience may seem subtle but is actually very different. When I first started watching this show, I was slightly thrown off by the theatrical hint in the acting. Then I noticed in the introduction that they mentioned that it was filmed in front of a audience. After that, it all made sense. It is almost like a different "dialect" of acting. It has to be more theatrical based on the fact that there is a live audience. I think shows like this would be fun to do; a combination of both a theatrical and film styles. Who would have known that acting and filming could be so diverse?!

~Amber Capogrossi

No comments: