Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wednesday post out of obligation

First off I would like to say: DAMMIT REBECCA YOU AND THE REST OF YOUR SPARK CLASS ARE SO LUCKY I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO SKYPE WITH DIANE SAWYER AND/OR DAVID MUIR. WHY AM I SO UNLUCKY. WHYYYY. *runs into corner, cries, moans, groans*

Anyway.

I didn't watch the Oscars. To be honest, good for all of the films that were nominated or that won; but I can't stand the glorification of the ceremony. At least the Grammys has music throughout the show -- and come on, when Arcade Fire has bicycles riding around during a light show and when Em and Dre and Rihanna are singing together in front of a fire, it's going to be more exciting than anything you could imagine at an awards show. Besides, James Franco was supposedly high the entire time -- awesome and hilarious, nonetheless -- and Anne Hathaway just reminds me of that ditzy girl that I dated in high school that I broke up with after seven months because she was going to college and her ex-boyfriend was closer to FSU and it was just going to work out better that way. But I digress. I digress.

Moving on to Doorknob news: Buhhh.

We have no cast. Maybe one person. But maybe not. I don't know. We have a script and a few locations. Great. However, we need more time than "finish shooting before Spring Break." I know of Doorknob producers who aren't shooting until April. We need to make this great. We need time for reshoots. We need time for editing. We need time to work around when our locations will let us shoot. This isn't something we can rush; and to be honest, I'd think it best if we forgot that this project was for a class and if we really focused our energy toward the competition. $2000 isn't something to sniff at.

That's all. Now going to work on storyboarding. Also the lights are off in the classroom and I'm going to fall asleep. Why did that guy's entire head disappear? The nose of that gun is not that big. Fo fo real.

~Will

4 comments:

Nick Petrella said...

Yeah, I'm going to have to say I agree with you on the GDK deadline thing. Especially seeing that our group doesn't have a cast yet as well I don't know how we are going to bunker down and get this done - and by done, I mean done well with the type of patience that is necessary to make something great. I want to be able to spend time focusing on the little things instead of ignoring them just for the sake of handing in a complete project.

arturo said...

What I agree is that you need a good amount of time to do all the postproduction work which really requires as much time as you can get. Shooting a 4-5 min piece should not take that long if you are well organized. Of course if you have no casting or locations it certainly would not work! simply having a lot more time is pushing all the important things down the road.

You should try your best to start shooting before the break. That way you have plenty of time for reshoots, effects, sound, editing, the works. It is not a "hard" deadline, it would simply allow you to have more time to create a great piece. I also agree that you should go for the prize but as you have experienced already time flies VERY fast. So you are already half way through. So do not slack or you simply will not get there.

In response to Nick, you need the patience after you shoot! Shooting requires a flurry of high energy, well organized activity to get things "in the can" because there is no time to spare, you have weather, the moving sun, people's personal schedules etc. A feature film can be shot in 4 weeks but it can take a year and sometimes two for everything else.

So, those of you that can start shooting, do it! you'll be glad you did.

Rebecca said...

Ahh sorry Will! We didn't get to talk to them for too long since, well, they're kinda busy people, but they were able to give some words of encouragement to the journalism majors in the room (and I guess the broadcast news people in the room, too). Diane talked about how she fell into a gorge during one of her first newscasts, and they both said to absorb lots of information and know a lot about the field you're interested in. I think we might be Skyping with them again because they gave us two challenges, and we have to pitch our challenge responses to them.
Good luck with your Doorknob- I really wish spring break would be farther away, just because I'd like to get more than one shoot in before then. But if you guys don't shoot until after break, I think with planning you guys should be fine. Don't sweat it, things will come together :)

Luke Snyder said...

Make something great. It's a lot more worth while than cramming everything in to feel like your on the same page as the rest of the groups. I've never been a big fan of in class doorknobs because everything is so rushed and you find yourself losing quality every time you try to meet an in-class deadline inside of the overall April 11th deadline.