Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Swamp People

A small part of going home that I really enjoy is flipping through channels, as I don't have cable at school. It never ceases to amaze me how many reality shows The History Channel and Discovery Channel can squeeze out of obscure jobs but the trailer I'm posting really caught my eye. It is a trailer for Swamp People season 2 and I really liked what they did with the slow motion while moving the camera to capture the man pulling the crocodile out of the water. On land with a group of people I can see how this would be easy to do, you would just move around the subjects with a steadicam rig or a dolly and do the slow motion in post. But these shots were in the middle of a swamp on boats while crazy swamp people pull crocodiles out of the water with nets and shotguns. Are there some special effects going on here or have they just brought equipment out into the wilderness and set up some impressive shots?

3 comments:

Luke Snyder said...

Happy you mentioned this, I saw it the other day and immedietly started to look on the internet how they did it because it's really awesome

arturo said...

It is called time-slicing and it was invented by Tim McMillan although the Wachowski brothers took all the credit when they used it in Matrix.
Time does commercial work using his rigs which van be very large. I would assume that the Swamp People was shot by his company. Here is a video of his very early work (I met him around that time in London when he presented his films in a VFX conference at Pinewood Studios.
Here is his company, I think there is a video where you can see one of the big rigs

Alex Pickering said...

thanks, I've been watching their videos all morning