Monday, March 21, 2011

My hard drive is currently precariously placed on a chair in the lab

And that's okay. Nothing like a bit of a challenge to everyone else while you're editing. Hey guys! If you're reading this during class, don't trip!

Anyhow, I saw Battle LA the other day. Great visual effects. It was a shame that the story didn't let us see much of them, though. Most of what I got to witness was the gritty landscape of the destroyed city, which is rubble and rubble and rubble and rubble and rubble. I would have loved to see more robot aliens. From the six frames I saw of them, they looked very cool. Okay, and there was that scene where they cut through one of the aliens to find the weak spot. But other than that, it was a good use of special effects for some pretty mediocre reasons.

The story and everything else was eh and meh, though. Aliens are colonizing the Earth. Great! Let's kill them! But why? Well, they're killing us. But why? Because they may want our water. Hmmm, okay, but why? For fuel. Ohhh. Well, you could have made that a little clearer earlier on in the movie; unless you were afraid that the explosions and the helicopters were going to be compromised. Less story, more helicopters! Isn't that how it works? No. Also, the actors weren't subpar, but what they were acting wasn't hard by any means. Children could have done it. It was mostly screaming and grunting. Children can scream and grunt. That's all babies do, I know that. Just ask my two year old nephew. Awwww. I'm sidetracked. Spring break.

I gave it a 4/10. I'd watch it again only if my roommate and his drunk frat brothers were watching it on Netflix. They're suckers for this kind of stuff. Again, meh and eh.

STATUS REPORT ON EDITING! Pretty much one-third of the movie is rough edited in Final Cut. I've got to work on the SFX for the opening shot, and it was a pain to get the audio to flow well. We might have to ADR. But that's not so much a problem right now. We've got a few weeks. I'm sure we can get this done.

Then it's on to the next project. Who's betting on music video?

~Will

1 comment:

William Sisskind said...

EDIT: It's not a music video.