Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Final Cut's Being a Bitch

Okay, so, for the GDK project we recorded our good audio (from the boom mic) on the right channel. I am now trying to use only that channel to make the audio duel-mono. I've de-linked the stereo pair and re-positioned a copy of the good track to run in parallel with the original, but when I go to change the pan to -1 (so that it will come out of the left channel), it won't let me. It will let me move the slider or type in a number into the pan value, but it wont do anything and when I de-select it and then re-select it, the audio says that pan is at 1, even though I just changed it. This and the fact that Final Cut has been slow and jumpy with the amount of footage in it is making me very short-tempered.
What am I doing wrong?

2 comments:

arturo said...

What you describe sounds right (no pun intended:-) Try copying the stereo pair first (without de-linking it), line it up in another track, then disable the pairs, delete whatever 2 tracks you don't want. When you double click on the A1 track leave it where the Pan is then double click on A2 and change the Pan. There is no reason for that not to work. (make sure you double click on each one to check the Pan status) I know you know this but just be methodical, you might be skipping something if you are tired.
As for FC to be slow and jumpy I would try the same project in one of the towers which are supposed to be a lot faster. Stay cool!

Face said...

It WORKS!!! Thanks Arturo. I don't know why it matters but it didn't work when I de-linked the tracks first and then copied the one I need. In order to make it work, I first copied the entire stereo mix then de-link the original and the copy and changed the pan on the copy. Again, don't know why it works one way and not the other, but its nice to have it finally working.