Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Vampire Diaries; Where Is This Going?

We're in the second half of of the sixth season of the CW TV series, The Vampire Diaries, and I'm starting to get a little apprehensive. After the last episode aired on February 19th, I'm starting to see some things that are starting to repeat themselves, and some things that are making me nervous for the show's well-being. It's throwing me for a loop and I'm not sure how much I can handle anymore.
Ever since I first started watching this show, I knew watching a new episode was the equivalent of throwing my heart out onto a busy for everyone to run over as they pleased... I'm only being as dramatic as the show. Seriously, though, we have love, we have lust, we have family betrayal, we have death, vampires, witches, werewolves, doppelgangers, and just about everything that could possibly ever go wrong in a fictional and nonfictional universe. I can almost guarantee that your favourite character is not safe in Mystic Falls.
Honestly, I don't know how many times I've finished an episode saying "I am done with this show, I'm never watching again, I hate it." When Jenna died, when Alaric died, when Jeremy died, when Jeremy died for real, when Damon died. Honestly, so many deaths, so many tears shred I can't even count them all. But, honestly, lately, the deaths don't scare me as much, I have way too much hope that they're going to come back. Of that short list of four I just gave, three of the people who died are currently alive and well.
 Still, I've been caught up in this roller coaster for years now. But, as of the last episode, I have a few complaints. I also have some praises too.
The episode titled "Let Her Go," dealt with a lot of things that  were sort of different for the Vampire Diaries. Sheriff Forbes died a natural death, Jeremy left Mystic Falls because he was moving on with his life, not to follow some strange magical cycle, and in the previous Sheriff Forbes and Damon uncovered that the truth behind Elena's parents crash was actually an accident. These things are so normal, so natural, they were so unexpected for a show that focuses so heavily on the supernatural. I think that including things like this every so often is more than necessary for a show like this, it throws us for a loop. We don't expect it.
That being said, there are some very predictable things, and some things that I'm just not sure about all around. I can't believe that we are going to go through the whole vampires "turning off their humanity" thing AGAIN, I've been here, I've seen this, it upsets me, I don't want to deal with it all over again. I don't care that it's Caroline, I don't care if it'd be any different if Stefan told her his feelings sooner, I don't want to go through this again. I'm sorry for my lack of interest, but I find it hard to believe that I would I'm the only one thinking this. I predicted it would happen as soon as she said she "had to make it through the day," I probably could have predicted it sooner if I thought that revisiting that plot was even a slight possibility. What was NOT predictable was the part where, as Bonnie was finally getting out of the other world prison, that she saw Damon and Stefan's mom. ???? ???????????????????????????????????????????? What??????
I literally do not understand how this can be possible. Of course, I'm excited about the possibilities, but HOW MANY years has it been? How, how, how is this possible, I feel like I should be screaming for answers at this point. Where did this come from? When did they decide this would be acceptable? I'm just so lost, I can hardly form complete sentences over the subject matter. Don't get me wrong, though, I think that they'll be able to pull it off, and I'm excited to see how they're going to deal with it. Especially with it being alongside how on earth we're supposed to deal with Kai, or the fact that everyone is going to be overjoyed that Bonnie is finally back, or the fact that Jeremy is out of Mystic Falls. I guess I'll be eagerly waiting to see what comes next. Unfortunately. As always.

No comments: