Wednesday, March 11, 2015

'Kenan & Kel' One of my Favorite Shows as a Kid


Most kids that watched TV in the 90's would agree that Nickelodeon was one of the best channels to watch. I decided to watch some of my favorite shows I enjoyed as a kid to see if I still enjoy them as an adult.   For anyone that missed out on 'Kenan & Kel' as a kid and doesn't know what it's about; this series follows two best friends in high school, played by Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell.  Kenan would be the one to think of something mischievous to do and Kel being a good best friend, would join him and help Kenan with his plans. Kel was always entertaining and reckless. These two characters together were priceless!
 I watched an episode that I remember being one of my favorites. I found out that episode is called "The Tainting of the Screw" and I was surprised to find out that it was only the second episode of this great series.
 When I was a kid I liked when I watched 'Kenan & Kel' becuase it never felt like a "Kids" show to me.  After watching it as a 21 year old I still laugh and enjoy this show. My two favorite characters besides Kenan and Kel would have to be Kenan's grocery store boss Chris [Dan Frischman] and Kenan's father [Ken Foree]. Chris was a geeky boss that had some funny one liners and he was a bit of a push over.  Kenan's dad was a BIG intense guy that did not like Kel very much.  The interactions between Kel and Kenan's dad were funny becuase Kel would always get him upset unintentionally.  

"Kenan & Kel" aired from 1996-2000 and has a rating of 7.9/10 on IMDb. A more recent show that was similar to "Kenan & Kel" that was also on Nickelodeon was "Drake & Josh" (2004-07), this series received a 7.5/10 on IMDb. A third attempt to a similar show, "Sam & Cat" was on Nickelodeon from 2013-14. They had Ariana Grande co-star in this series and the show still only received a 6/10 on IMDb. I don't think Nickelodeon will ever produce a sitcom as good as the original two best friends "Kenan & Kel". 
The theme song for "Kenan & Kel" has to be the best song for any kids show...ENJOY: 



No comments: