Thursday, March 5, 2015

Focus

When I went to see Focus in theaters I was not expecting very much at all. I was predicting this to be just another one of those movies that comes and goes under the radar with the little to no attention that it rightly deserves. I have to say that I went in with such low expectations that I came out pleasantly surprised.



Focus, released February 27th, is classified as a dark romantic dramedy written and directed by Glenn Ficarra and John Sequa. This movie follows Nicky Spurgeon (Will Smith) a well endowed conman and his compatriot Jess Barrett (Margot Robbie). During the film Nicky promises to teach Jess the ins and outs of the con trade and along the way the two fall in love. Eventually Jess realizes that Nicky was just using her as another con and the two part ways. The rest of the film is spent watching Nicky attempting to win back Jess's heart while they both attempt to steal millions from a billionaire motorsport team owner played by Rodrigo Santoro.




This film surprised me because I went in expecting it would be terrible but I honestly did not hate it. The entire time I was expecting this film to have the same old plot twists and story line; however, the entire time it kept me on my toes. The lack of cliches and unexpected personalities in our characters was a beat of fresh air. This film also had absolutely beautiful production and set design. Large scale sets in New Orleans, New York and Buenos Aires richly added to the grand themes of the film.



When it comes to the cinematography of this film it was really nothing special. The design of the sets were beautiful; however, the shots did not do much to compliment this. Despite this, there was one scene in this movie that was absolutely brilliant. It begins with a dolly down an aisle of a convenience store while we watch a man grab things off of a shelf. We then watch him in his car slowly put on different items such as a helmet, a neck brace and a mouth guard until he speeds up and crashes head on into another vehicle. This scene was amazingly done and I wish more of the film was done in this fashion.



This film was not phenomenal but I would recommend checking it out after leaves theaters.


No comments: