Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Anxiety Attack that is Gravity (Spoiler Alert!)

     I hadn't seen Gravity until after it won several Academy Awards and after I'd heard raving reviews, but it was well worth the wait. Despite giving me anxiety attack-like symptoms throughout the entire movie, I couldn't look away until the end credits rolled.
     The cast was made up of just a few secondary characters that appeared only briefly as well as two A-list actors, George Clooney and Sandra Bullock. Despite having a small, focused, top of the line cast, the movie didn't focus on promoting Hollywood and Hollywood actors but rather on the characters and the story. Sandra Bullock played her part so well that I forgot that she was Sandra Bullock, famous actress, and saw her only as Dr. Ryan Stone, the alone and afraid medical engineer on her first shuttle mission to space. I felt her fear more than I'd ever felt fear from a character. I imagined myself in her place and I panicked inside.
     Dr. Stone spent the vast majority of the movie floating around in space with no space shuttle to return to, no real knowledge of how to get back down to Earth, and no one to help her. Since I already had an irrational fear of outer space, this was particularly horrifying for me to watch. I was rooting for Stone the entire time, as was everyone else who saw the movie, I'm sure. I wanted nothing more than for her to choose to live and to figure out how to get home. However, that didn't seem like a likely possibility to me, given the circumstances, her lack of experience in outer space, and her lack of training in this type of situation.
     For those reasons, I was utterly shocked but also unbelievably happy when she finally crashed down into the ocean on Earth. She had made it, and I couldn't imagine the amount of courage and calm that it would take for a person to do that.
     But it couldn't be that easy. When she opened the door to the tiny shuttle she was in and the ocean water started rushing in, my panic attack began. How could she get through a catastrophe like that in outer space by herself only to get home and drown?! Apparently Dr. Stone thought the same way and she just kept on fighting until she got herself out of the shuttle and swam/drifted to shore.
     The last shot of the movie was of Dr. Stone grabbing onto the beach she washed up on and finally standing up on land for the first time since she left Earth and experienced that disaster in space. We see her muster up the strength to walk into the land and the credits roll. That last shot really got to me. I can't imagine what it must feel like to feel the land beneath your feet and the force of gravity for the first time after spending a while in outer space, floating around. After the turmoil that Dr. Stone experienced, it must've been an incredible feeling.
     I had to remind myself several times during this film that it was just a movie and that Dr. Stone was just a character. I became more emotionally attached to the character than I normally do. At the same time, I spent a lot of time wondering how the filmmakers made this movie. The visual effects were amazing, and I think the simulation of zero gravity is really interesting and even more interesting when an entire movie is filmed using it. There wasn't a single aspect of this film or its making that didn't grab my attention and hold onto it for its duration. I'm glad I finally got around to see it, and I think everyone should do the same, if they haven't already.

No comments: