Friday, September 20, 2013

Why Scrubs has been my favorite show of all time


One of the first sitcoms I fell in love with was Bill Lawrence's show Scrubs. The thing that I can't believe is that it is still my favorite show. It's been at the top of my list for 8 years now and I've finally started to think why. Scrubs has some of the best characters and character development that I've seen on a television series. They make it very easy to relate to so many characters on the show starting with JD or John Dorian played by Zach Braff. JD is this loving, nerdy guy who is the main character of the show. He also is the narrator, giving the show this omniscient view of JD. They also give a look into JD's head by doing these flashes to absurd thoughts JD is having. I really think it is overall JD's personality and development throughout the show that have really blown me away. He's always been a weird, quirky, funny guy but when the show just started he was this terrified anxious guy and as he spent more and more time at Sacred Heart you actually watched him build his confidence. They made him a real growing and developing human being in my eyes and that's what really impresses me.


Another character they developed really well is Dr. Cox, played by John McGinley. They started him out really tough and rough around the edges and they almost lead you on with him because they hinted at this kinder, human side of him but only let it out in huge moments in the show. They usually did this with patients that he grew attached to or made promises with. My favorite moment with Dr. Cox's human side is in season 5 episode, episode 20 My Lunch.  A patient he connected with was in need of an organ donor as well as two other patients who we're in dire need of new organs. Dr. Cox became obsessed on the idea and was looking and doing all that he could to help out these patients. Finally a former patient came in who was to believe of died from overdose. Dr. Cox convinced the former patients mother to donate her organs and at this point we thought the day was saved. Then right before the episode ends all the patients fail due to the former patient actually dying from rabies.  Dr. Cox is hit hard from this mistake and spirals into a depression.

Also I love how they theme their episodes. They had an episode called My Musical in which Bill Lawrence and Debra Bordha did a musical version of the show with music by Jan Stevens. The perfectly crossed musical theater and the world of television. They also have done a Wizard of Oz spoof, a Star Wars spoof, and have made countless other references to real events and famous shows and movies.

Another reason why I love the show is because of deeper meaning the episodes can have. A lot of people can get thrown off by this but I really enjoy that deeper message. They even get somewhat complex in the episodes for a network television series. In the episode  My Screwup they don't let you know that Dr. Cox's best friend has died and have him as a thought or memory of Dr. Cox's for the whole episode. They did this again later in the season when Nurse Roberts dies and her memory haunts Carla. I really think it's an interesting way of getting into a characters head.

Overall I'm still in love with this show because how much they've made me care for the character and what I take away from the show. I am able to feel for the characters, have a good laugh, and learn something from it.


No comments: