Friday, September 6, 2013

Doctor Who

Now I've never really been one to get caught up in a show that often, especially a science fiction show but I have been very into BBC's show, Doctor Who. My brother was the one who got me into it because he would watch it all the time and I got mad because of how bad some of the effects were. Eventually, from just being around too much, I started picking up on the story line and I fell in love with it. The idea that the Doctor is this nerdy, weird guy, who doesn't use weapons doesn't sound like much of a hero but through his genius and quick thinking the Doctor has become known as the most powerful man in the universe. This whole idea of nonviolent heroes is a very interesting idea to me. Envying a hero who is smart and weird compared to a hero who is macho and strong is not something I see a lot. It's a show that preaches unconditional love and understanding because he tries to understand why the antagonist is causing the problems not how to destroy it. The only alien race that he is trying to destroy is the Daelek. An emotionless race that embodies the worst qualities of human beings like war, destruction, and the striving for a superior race. Time after time, or time before time, or whatever time traveling story line the Doctor is on, he brings understanding and peace back to planet Earth.

Now I started with David Tennant and absolutely loved him as the Doctor. He completely embodied the role and could be that quirky, loving, nerdy Doctor but at the same time he could easily let you know that he is in fact, the most powerful man in the Universe. I absolutely loved it. The season finale for season four was one of my favorite endings for a season of all time. I couldn't get over it and talked about it for days. At the same time I had to get ready for the new Doctor, Matt Smith. He had some HUGE shoes to fill and as of right now I'm in the middle of the 6th season. As it should be, he's putting his own spin on it and I'm actually really enjoying what the writers are doing. He's a younger Doctor who's very energetic and has a hard time sitting still (which I totally relate with). Although his deep power moments haven't been as strong as David Tennant's, I believe he still has a lot of potential and time to really make himself the Doctor.

As of partners the Doctor has traveled around with, Karen Gillian's and Arthur Darvill's characters, Amy and Rory are my favorite so far. I like the idea of having a couple on board the Tardis compared to just one companion. Then I'd have to say Billie Piper, as Rose Tyler, is my next favorite because of the complications she and the Doctor had. Sometimes I really think that this show is nothing but a scientific soap opera but really it's just that the characters are all so great. I care about them, want them to succeed, and enjoy watching them develop through out the show. Overall I highly recommend getting back in tune with your inner nerd and start watching some Doctor Who.



No comments: